Indian Head Massage has been practised in India for over a thousand years as part of everyday family life as a form of grooming. Indian head massage was brought to the west by Narendra Mehta in the 1970’s and the therapy was extended to include the face, ears, neck, shoulders and upper arms.
Indian Head Massage works on areas affected by mental and emotional stress which is especially good for those days when you think your head is going to explode because you have so much to think about. The treatment helps you calm and relax the mind which can then help in getting things in order and seeing things more clearly.
Working with a firm and gentle rhythm it helps to relieve muscular discomfort and tension as well as calming the spirit and aiding relaxation, it also improves circulation in the head and enhances the senses .
The massage usually begins with the upper back, where a combination of deep massage and pressure points help to relax the muscles and to loosen and melt knots. Moving through the shoulders and upper arms further releases the common spots for holding stress and tension, and then working deeply into the neck where tension accumulates relieves headaches and improves cerebral spinal fluid circulation. Moving up to the scalp, techniques are used that stimulate, relax and revive the whole of the head, increasing circulation and promoting healthy hair. Finally the treatment may include a gentle face massage with techniques that help circulation, skin tone, and sinus and headache problems.
This therapy can be performed without oils with the client sitting and fully clothed, so it is ideally suited to the workplace or situations where it may not be appropriate to give a full-body hour long massage.
Indian Head Massage will soothe away stress and tension, leaving you relaxed, revitalised and re-energised. This is a very popular treatment, perfect for promoting a calm mind, a stress-free body and for maintaining optimum health.
Significant improvement noticed with:
• Migraine and headaches
• Stress related disorders
• Insomnia and disturbed sleep
• Temporor – Mandibular Joint tension (TMJ)
• Suppleness and flexibility to head, neck and shoulders
• Increase of oxygen and glucose supply to the brain
• Scalp stimulation increasing blood circulation, promoting healthy hair
• Increases cerebral spinal fluid circulation
• Improves muscle tone
• Calms the respiratory system, helping asthma
Indian Head Massage promotes:
• A sense of calmness, peace and tranquillity
• Release from anxiety, stress and mental stain
• Relief from depression
• High levels of concentration
• Clearer thinking and focus
• Sound sleep and relief from nightmares
• Renewed energy
• Aids memory
• Chakra balancing and energetic healing
Indian Head Massage is available with Ayurvedic Therapist Lynny Jennings at My Studio- the Fitness Clinic.