Spicy Roasted Parsnip Soup
Aromatic flavours transform the ordinary parsnip into a delicious warming soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds , plus extra to garnish
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion , cut into 8 chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 675g parsnips , diced
- 2 plum tomatoes , quartered
- 1.2l vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. In a bowl, mix together the oil and spices. Add the vegetables and mix well. Spread over a heavy baking sheet, then roast for 30 mins until tender.
- Spoon into a food processor or liquidiser with half the stock and process until smooth. Pour into a pan with the remaining stock, season, then heat until barely simmering. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with cumin seeds.