Winter Vegetable Soup
For the base ingredients
• 6 Table spoons of waterl
• 1 onion, peeled and chopped
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
For the aromatics
• 1 bouquet garni
• and/or 1- fresh red chillies, de-seeded and chopped
• or 1 tsp curry powder or cumin,
For the main ingredients
• 1 potato, or other thickener if needed, peeled and cut into chunks
• 500g/18oz vegetables, prepared as appropriate and roughly chopped
For the liquid
• 1-1.5 litres/1¾-2¾ pints) vegetable or chicken stock, or vegetable cooking water.
• freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the water gently in a large saucepan, then add the base ingredients, the aromatics and the main ingredients. Stir around to coat everything in the onions garlic and chillies, then sweat very gently for 10-15 minutes.
2. Add 1litre/1¾pints of stock or other liquid, saving the rest for thinning down (if necessary), and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring up to the boil, then simmer gently for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
3. Liquidise in several batches, and return to the pan. Thin down with the reserved stock, as required, and check the seasoning
4. Reheat when needed.